Over Roundabout – A417 Night Time Closures (updated 18/06/18)
Highway Commissioning have issued a further update on the highway improvements to the A417/A40 Over Roundabout. The update reads:
Unfortunately ground conditions have not been in our favour on both the A417 and A40 approaches. We’ve had to pre-auger (pre-drill) the ground ahead of driving the piles and bring in a larger ‘leader rig’ that required us to build an extensive piling mat and additional gates (all of which had to be done under the road closure and has resulted in programme delays). I’m hopeful that the change in method will allow us to make rapid progress but this will require further over night closures;
- Night time works from 7pm-6am – Monday to Friday
- Continuation of the full closure of the A417 southbound (from Maisemore to Over roundabout) and the A40 westbound (Longford to Over roundabout)
- Completion date for night time works now 15th June 2018 for the A417 and 22nd June 2018 for the A40. – However, this is on the proviso that ground conditions are favourable and we will need to review this date next week. We are in the difficult position of not being able to guarantee a works programme as we would for something like a resurfacing job.
- Works are for the sheet piling operation to widen both approaches to the roundabout
- The diversion will be signed on all approaches and is also on our webpage https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/roads-parking-and-rights-of-way/major-projects/a40-over-roundabout-improvement-scheme/
Over Roundabout – A417 Night Time Closures (updated 30/05/18)
Highway Commissioning have issued an update on the highway improvements to the A417/A40 Over Roundabout. The update relates to the southbound, night-time closure of the A417 (from Maisemore to Over roundabout). The details of the closure are as follows;
Brittania Construction have issued Bulletin 1 – 17/05/18 which details the work carried out on the project to date.
To see this bulletin click on the link below:
Over Roundabout – Night Time Closures
I’m writing to inform you that we are now in possession of the night time closure dates for the piling work at Over roundabout.
The piling works are required to stabilise the embankment where we will be creating additional carriageway. These works have to be undertaken at night because the operation will utilise the entire available carriageway space and closing the roads (A40 and A417 respectively) during the day would cause significant traffic disruption for thousands of road users.
Please be assured we have looked at all other options of construction, but the soil composition is such that only piling the ground would give us the stability to subsequently widen the carriageway. As with all major transport schemes, we will endeavour to keep disruption to a minimum. The diversion routes will be signed in advance of the works and I have attached the planned diversions for your information. All daytime works will be completed using lane closures with the roundabout remaining open. There will be expected delays but access will still be maintained.
The planned night time closures are as follows;
A40 East (between Longford Roundabout and Over roundabout) will be closed overnight from 15th May to 1st June between 7pm – 6am.
A417 North (approach to Over from Maisemore) will be closed overnight from 5th June to 13th June between 7pm – 6am.
As we near scheme completion in August 2018, we will undertake a complete resurfacing of the roundabout. This will take place over two weekends in August (4th – 5th and 11th – 12th August). Road closures will be in place from 7pm Friday evening through to 6am Monday morning. Please note that further restrictions will be in place during the resurfacing of the roundabout but access will be maintained where possible.
Team Leader; Major Schemes
HIghway Commissioning, Gloucestershire County Council
Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester GL1 2TG
For more details on the two diversion routes click on the link below: